NE LEGAL BUREAU
NEW DELHI, CHENNAI, AUG 17
The Cauvery dispute has returned to the Supreme Court with a deceptively simple but politically charged question: when two States are facing competing claims over a scarce river, how should a binding water-management direction be implemented in a distress year?
- Bench posts Tamil Nadu’s plea for August 24, seeks updated status on release of Cauvery water
- CWRC had ordered 12,000 cusecs daily for 15 days from August 12; CWMA subsequently upheld the direction
- Tamil Nadu alleges inadequate release despite reservoir storage; Karnataka calls the picture “extremely incorrect”
- Karnataka cites “extremely severe distress year” and says it is struggling to maintain the mandated flow
The Supreme Court on Monday asked Karnataka to ensure compliance with the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA)’s direction on releasing water to Tamil Nadu, while giving the State another week to place its latest compliance position before the court.
A Bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta was hearing Tamil Nadu’s plea seeking immediate release of its share of Cauvery water. The Bench posted the matter for August 24 and said:
“Ensure compliance of the CWMA directions.”
The court also said: “We feel that let this matter be posted after a week so that the further status regarding the release may be placed before the court.”
The latest proceedings deepen a dispute that has intensified after the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee (CWRC) directed Karnataka to ensure a daily flow of 12,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu for 15 days from August 12, a direction subsequently upheld by the CWMA.
Tamil Nadu flags alleged shortfall
Senior advocate C S Vaidyanathan, appearing for Tamil Nadu, told the Bench that Karnataka was not complying with the CWMA direction and that the State was consequently unable to release adequate water to farmers.
“They (Karnataka) have started releasing water for irrigation in Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu has not been receiving water,” he said.
Vaidyanathan further submitted that Karnataka’s reservoirs had 76 per cent live storage, while alleging that only a small quantity was being released downstream.
The Tamil Nadu Government had approached the Supreme Court on August 3, claiming that the water quantum directed by the CWRC as well as the actual releases by Karnataka were substantially below what it considered due. Earlier, Tamil Nadu had also placed reservoir-storage data before the authorities to argue that Karnataka had sufficient water to make the required releases.
Karnataka disputes Tamil Nadu’s picture
Karnataka strongly contested the allegations.
Senior advocate Shyam Divan, appearing for Karnataka, told the Bench that the picture being projected by Tamil Nadu was: “Extremely incorrect in every material respect.”
He stressed that Karnataka was confronting what he described as an “extremely severe distress year”, arguing that the Cauvery basin itself was facing a substantial deficit.
“This is an extremely severe distress year and when you have an extremely severe distress year as in the present case, there is a mechanism and a machinery for the purposes of balancing,” Divan said.
He pointed out that the CWMA and CWRC were already seized of the hydrological situation and had issued successive directions after considering the competing claims of the two States.
Divan said Karnataka had earlier been required to ensure a release of 3,500 cusecs daily for 15 days till August 11, before the subsequent direction raised the quantum to 12,000 cusecs daily from August 12.
He told the court that releasing 12,000 cusecs was proving difficult, but instructions had nevertheless been issued to maintain that level. According to him, the flow was lower during the first three or four days, with Karnataka intending to make up the shortfall subsequently.
From 3,500 to 12,000 cusecs: dispute escalates
The present confrontation follows a rapid escalation in the quantum of water sought from Karnataka.
On July 28, the CWRC had directed Karnataka to ensure a flow of 3,500 cusecs daily at Biligundlu for 15 days, beginning July 29. The CWMA subsequently endorsed that decision despite Karnataka’s objections, with the State citing deficient rainfall and depleted reservoir inflows.
The CWRC later raised the direction to 12,000 cusecs a day for 15 days from August 12, triggering renewed opposition in Karnataka and protests by farmers and pro-Kannada organisations.
Karnataka has argued that its own farmers and drinking-water requirements cannot be overlooked during a severe water-stress year. Karnataka Minister K Ramalinga Reddy had earlier described compliance with the 12,000-cusec direction as difficult, while the State considered its legal options.
The Karnataka Government has also maintained that decisions must be taken within the legal framework while protecting the interests of its farmers and prioritising drinking water.
2018 verdict remains the legal backdrop
The latest proceedings operate against the framework established by the Supreme Court’s landmark 2018 Cauvery judgment, which modified the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal’s final award and provided the basis for the subsequent Cauvery Water Management Scheme, comprising the CWMA and CWRC.
The Supreme Court’s subsequent orders have recognised that implementation grievances concerning the Cauvery award and the management mechanism can be raised before the appropriate statutory authorities. In a 2025 order concerning the Cauvery basin, the Court noted that the dispute among the basin States had been finally decided by the Court and that the Union had provided the CWMA/CWRC mechanism for implementation; it also said a State aggrieved by non-implementation or improper implementation could approach the CWC, CWMA or CWRC.
That framework makes the present proceedings particularly significant: the Supreme Court is not merely being asked to determine competing political claims, but to monitor compliance with directions issued through the institutional mechanism created to implement the Cauvery settlement.
The Court has also previously stressed the role of expert bodies in determining water-release issues. In earlier Cauvery proceedings, it observed that it “do[es] not possess any expertise” on the technical hydrological questions and sought reports from the CWMA.
Farmers caught between law and hydrology
At the heart of the dispute are two competing realities.
For Tamil Nadu, delayed Cauvery releases directly affect irrigation in the Cauvery delta, where timely availability of water is crucial for standing crops. The State has therefore pressed for implementation of the prescribed releases and alleged that Karnataka’s shortfall is placing farmers at risk.
For Karnataka, the issue is equally acute: deficient rainfall, reservoir inflows and competing demands for drinking water and irrigation have intensified pressure on the State’s water resources. The State argues that a distress year cannot simply be treated as a normal hydrological year.
The political temperature has risen alongside the legal dispute. Farmers in Karnataka have protested against the 12,000-cusec release direction, while the State Government has sought to balance its legal obligations with its responsibility towards local farmers and drinking-water needs.
With the matter now posted for August 24, the next hearing is likely to turn on the actual flow recorded at the inter-State point, the extent of compliance with the CWMA direction and the competing hydrological data placed by the two States.
The Cauvery case therefore enters another critical phase — where every cusec has become both a measure of water and a measure of compliance.


